Friday, July 1, 2011

Jehovah's Witnesses

I was home by myself about a week ago when somebody knocked.  I peeked out and saw an old man so I opened the door.  I stepped out on the porch and realized he was a Jehovah's Witness.  Dang!  They got me!  We chatted for a minute... I even told him I was an atheist.  He asked if he could come back some time again.  Uh... sure?  I went back inside and immediately face palmed!

He's been back three times now.  Once I was gone.  Once I hid in the bedroom until he left.  The third time I was on the phone with a person I legitimately couldn't just hang up on.  Josh was home and happened to answer the door.  I told Josh to tell him I didn't have time right now.

When he left and I was off the phone, Josh said, "He's just going to keep coming back.  You're going to have to deal with this at some point."  I said, "I know!!  But he's a sweet old man!  I can't be mean to old people!"

"I realize that babe, but look in his eyes... he has evil eyes," he said.

"No... he has cataracts." 

1 comment:

  1. If you need a strategy, why don't you flat-out ask him what he wants, or why he comes? Then, deal with that answer.

    If it interests you, grant him to stay or come back. If it doesn't, say so, and let him know there's no point in his coming back.

    It's human relations, that's all. He's just a person, and a nice one probably, as you say. He'd probably hate to think he's causing such angst in the family. So consider it an opportunity to apply all the undergrad and Masters people skills, which will serve you throughout life.

    Good luck on the employment search.

    ReplyDelete