Saturday, February 4, 2012

Valentines Day

I saw a commercial for Edible Arrangements on television tonight.  I told Josh, "So... apparently... if you get me fruit covered in chocolate for Valentine's Day, I'm supposed jump up and down with delight then have sex with you." This launched us into a conversation about the media messages we've received about this particular holiday.

Josh said, "Well, I'm supposed to get you diamonds.  If I don't get you diamonds, not only will I NOT be getting laid, I don't actually love you."

"Ah!" I said, "And I'm actually not obligated to get you anything.  I'm just supposed to let you shower me with gifts that mean nothing!"

We don't celebrate Valentine's Day.  We never have.  It's a contrived holiday... it's only purpose is to get us to buy crap for each other.

Josh ended the conversation with, picking up from an earlier one about politics, "I'd like to see a president who has the balls to come in and banish Valentine's Day."

EDIT:
Josh brought this up again a day later after seeing another ad.  He said, "So, isn't this just making prostitution legal for a day?  I mean, women are exchanging goods for their 'services.'  Why don't more women hate this?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment